Latest information on semi automatic hunting rifles

JP

Hi, 

I've been reading through the latest information on the police website regarding the semi auto ban.

https://www.politiet.no/tjenester/vapen/forbud-mot-halvautomatiske-rifler-til-jakt/

It's my opinion that they've done a good job of interpreting the june 2021 law into a working set of parameters that are fair for both new and previous acquisitions.

For me this is a very welcome outcome for what could have been far more restrictive. 

I'm interested to read other hunters opinions on this matter.

Thank you

JP 

Hi.

I'm ex UK also.

The 10/22 is on the list because of their interpretation of the factory availability extended magazine law.

The manufacturer ruger, sells magazines with a capacity over 10 rounds therefore making the rifle unlawful for jakt.

Magnum reaserch's ruger clones are also deemed unlawful based on them being clones. 

The Winchester Wildcat is advertised by the manufacturer as accepting all 10/22 magazines.

Winchester only make a 10 round.

The Wildcat is approved for acquisition to hunt.

Yes there are grey areas, cracks and contradictions, but in my opinion it's much better than it could have been. 

54 minutes ago, Chiefen.v-2 said:

Troll...

24 minutes ago, Skrueråmuttere said:

How many sock puppet accounts are you going to make?

Guess why there's no translation of the word 'Gentleman' into the Norwegian language. 

7 hours ago, JP said:

Hi, 

I've been reading through the latest information on the police website regarding the semi auto ban.

https://www.politiet.no/tjenester/vapen/forbud-mot-halvautomatiske-rifler-til-jakt/

It's my opinion that they've done a good job of interpreting the june 2021 law into a working set of parameters that are fair for both new and previous acquisitions.

For me this is a very welcome outcome for what could have been far more restrictive. 

I'm interested to read other hunters opinions on this matter.

Thank you

JP 

Hvordan mener du dette er rettferdig?De har kommet med nye bestemmelser omtrent over natta. Ruger 10/22, Ruger pcc og mange andre våpen har blitt solgt i god tro om at de er lovlige utifra tidligere tolkninger samt lovnad om at .22lr våpen skulle få være i fred som skrevet i forarbeidene.
En ting er oss skyttere, hva med butikker som nå har våpen de ikke får solgt eller er langt vanskeligere å selge?

Og hva hjelper disse reglene i det hele tatt? De kunne gjort ingenting, og det hadde vært langt mer produktivt.
Vær så snill, fortell meg hva de gode nyhetene er, utenom det at de velger å polere støvelen før de tupper oss i ræva.

Edited by Carl Volt

It is the heartbreaking incompetence  of the law makers that angers us. And the fact that this isn't meant to make anyone safer and will not do so either.

The murder statistics for 2022 is available for Norway for anyone who want to investigate them. We had 26 murders in Norway in 2022, and with all our firearms, they were used in only 3 of them. And one of this killings was a double murder, so there were actually only 2 murders incidents with firearms used. And this killings were done with illegal guns, so no gun laws could have prevented them, and none of the guns they will deny ut now was used.

We practically doesn't have firearm related violence here. You can't say that about Britain with their draconian gun laws.

But even so, if this restrictions had made us safer, maybe we could accept them. But they don't.

On July 14, 2016, Mohamed Lahouaiej- Bouhlel drove a 19-ton truck into a crowd celebrating Bastille Day at Nice’s Promenade des Anglais, killing 86 people and wounding more than 430 others. Now that is a mass killing, but not mass shooting. England has also had its share of mass killings with cars, as has Germany. Norway has had non of that too.

But we still have plenty of cars. And plenty of guns. Why dont just leave us be with our guns? We are not doing anyone any harm. What makes a country safe is its social capital, if it is good. Social capital is described as a set of shared values or resources that allows individuals to function together as a group to effectively achieve a common purpose. A certain trust between this group and between the group and the authorities is important contributors to a positive social capital. And it is in no ones interest to whittling away on this social capital unless ones motive is to make us more unsafe as a whole. In this case it´s the authorities and our parliament who has taken the first step to lessen our social captital by declaring loud and clear that they dont really trust Norways 500.000 hunters, 10% of our population, to have a semi auto 22 rifle. That is a tall order. One may wonder why they trust me to have not one, but two cars. They are the weapons of choice for mass killers in Europe now. What's happening now is not good for Norway. It is a start of something negative. And the sneaking thought might arise that our government and parliament  aren't good for us. That is a bad thing...

Edited by Robinson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, all trades, master of none said:

Sikkert jeg som er unødvendig skeptisk, men som flere har vært inne på; snodig tråd, det kan kanskje være greit å unngå å trykke på koblingen som ligger i første innlegging denne tråden.

Bruk alltid VPN ;)

m00se skrev (11 timer siden):

-   som flere har vært inne på; snodig tråd,   -

Det er hvertfall "snodig" (og vel så det) at man lovpriser norsk våpenregulering på "utaskjærs" språk. Man skal ikke dra lenger "utafor skjærene" enn til det deilige landet på andre siden av Skagerak, så er det visst ingen problemer med å få kjøpt ei halvautomatisk salongrifle, til og med utstyrt med overtre, og med ei magasinløsning som sjøl jeg kunne fiklet til så den tar mer enn 10 patroner:

https://www.lauritz.com/da/auktion/aut-erma-werke-model-e-m1-22-salonriffel-i-kal-22-lr-me/i6341027/

• Like 1

@JP Though unlike the UK ban, some  semi automatic centerfire dedicated hunting rifles and (UK section 5 semi automatics plus hand guns) are still legal for civilian sport shooting. Not much has been done, but limiting access to „high capacity“ equipment on just a plain easy obtainable hunting license.

So in my opinion and much unlike the ban in Britain, there is still a risk but not by hunters. Skilled sporting shooters still have access to these high capacity semi automatics.

I can see the logic behind removing a large number of .22's that can be used with high capacity magazines.

Wether or not a maniac would actually favour the use of a .22 over say an illegal submachine gun would I suppose depend on what the maniac could source.

ABB did attempt to source select fire weapons from I beleive the Czech Republic before failing and going through the legal process to aquire the weapons used.

If he could not have sourced said weapons, would he instead have favoured say a 10/22 with many hi-capacity magazines or a bolt action with 5 rounds?

You tell me.

Why would I need help in understanding statistic's and facts.

Everywhere that has banned high capacity Rifles after a mass shooting has not experianced another mass shooting.

Canada

UK

Australia

New Zealand

A low number of high capacity firearms in general circulation mean a lower chance of some nutter commiting an atrocity.

Simple as that.

If that idiot in Oslo could have walked into a shop and bought an AR-15 , then I beleive he would have done so. Instead he used a 80 year old smg that by the sounds of things didnt function correctly.

The fact that he had to resort to using that illegal obsolete weapon is testament to the success and sensibility of Norwegian gun laws. Which like any given law have to evolve and are now doing just that.

Once upon a time you could buy Dynamite at your local hardware store. Now you cannot.

Once upon a time you could buy a Rifle for which high capacity magazines were commonly available.

Now you cannot.

Times change.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets pause for a brief moment and consider Mr. Breivik on Utøya, he was the only armed person on the island, no real attempt was ever made to disarm him by the victims.

Furthermore he fired close to 300 rounds in 1 hour and 15 minutes, this equates to a rate of fire of 4 rounds per minute, this rate is easily achivable with any repeating firearm. If we then subtracts the pistol rounds we end up with around 2 rifle rounds per minute. 

In view of these numbers we can confidently conclude that Mr. Breiviks choice of rifle was of minor importance to the horror, and more relevant remains the lack of police response. 

People bent on causing other harm will allways find a way.