Advice regarding a 22lr semi automatic rifle for both jakt and range shooting

EnglishJager

Hei.

I hope someone may be able to offer advice relating to the purchase of a 22lr semi auto for jakt and competition shooting. 

I have been enjoying my time at the range with my 6.5x55 and have been thinking of purchasing a 22lr semi auto that allows me to both hunt and engage in competition.

I have used the page https://lovdata.no/dokument/SF/forskrift/2011-09-09-930 and discovered that the Rossi mod 7022 Long Rifle and Savage A22 22Long rifle are approved for ownership in Norway in both the hunting and competition categories for semi automatic weapons.

I am finding some difficulty in locating either of these for sale in Norway, is there any advice for me, both on these rifles as well as their aquisition?

I am also interested to know if any other rifles exist that are lawful to own and use in both categories here in Norway (I'm more interested in wooden than synthetic stocks)?

I have seen a large number of ruger10/22 for sale but cant see this model on either legal list, perhaps I'm missing some information regarding semi automatic ownership and Norwegian law?

Is there any general advice regarding the purchase of this type of weapon especially as I'm an Englishman who has lived here for approximately 5 and a half years? I have jegerprøven and two kombis, I'm a member of DFS but do not have the required 16 visits inorder to purchase a semi auto on a competition ticket alone so my purchase would be on my jakt quota as I also want to hunt with it. 

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks. 

What kind of competition do you have in mind? And what 16 visits are you talking  about?

As for a 1022 for hunting, i would recommend against it. Most (all) bolt rifles are far more accurate, and you run into the max. 2rds in the mag issue also. 
1022s are fun to shoot, speed drilla and IPSC type shooting, but most are vastly inferior to even the simplest boltrifle when accuracy is concerned.

K

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, M67 said:

What kind of competition do you have in mind? And what 16 visits are you talking  about?

As for a 1022 for hunting, i would recommend against it. Most (all) bolt rifles are far more accurate, and you run into the max. 2rds in the mag issue also. 
1022s are fun to shoot, speed drilla and IPSC type shooting, but most are vastly inferior to even the simplest boltrifle when accuracy is concerned.

K

I was thinking of joining dssn and engaging in the open category eventually but as I've been enjoying the range it would be initially for that purpose. 

I was told that the purchase of a weapon not on a jakt licence requires the potential owner to have visited their range a certain number of times in a particular time frame, perhaps I have misinterpreted the information. I wasn't particularly thinking of the ruger1022 but more about where the law stands on its ownership as I couldn't find it on the allowed weapons list in the link I supplied. 

I'm aware of the difference in accuracy between semi auto and bolt action however I don't consider it such a huge factor over the distance in mind. 

DSSN will be a longer, since you have to through the handgun process.

The Ruger 10/22 is perfectly legal, also as a hunting rilfe. It falls under the part of "all rimfire rifles previous sold for hunting at the time of these regulations, are legal" or whatever it was called. But as M67 mentiones you'll be limited on capacity.

A standard 10/22 may have accuracy deficit, but mine have a Green Mountain barrel and are accurate enough for mine needs. I tested a bunch of ammo and just about all put 10 rounds at 2cm or better at 35 meters. The best about 1 cm (outside to outside diameter) IIRC. It was one hole, shot indoors, bipod and rear rest.

• Like 1

A (any) quality bolt rifle will shoot most brands of ammo within 2cm at 70m, and that it «likes» best, probably at 100m too.

As Cardinal says, the DSSN route takes some time, but it is sure fun.

The best (mini) rifle there will be some AR15 variant - but they are illegal for hunting.

Most (all) non AR rifles except the 1022 is useless for DSS/IPSC shooting, and the 1022 is just a poor choice. Had one...

The 16-visits sounds like some local myth or some local club making their own rules, it is in no law. 
What you need is the hunting licence.

• Like 1

As stated above, I would recommend a bolt action 22. But 10/22 is the obvious (only) real choice, but you are either lucky to find a good one, or need to spend significant amounts of money to get it nearly as good as a standard cheap bolt action. 

Depending on where you live, some DSSN clubs have weapons you can try/borrow, but it requires you to have a handgun license and a DSSN course first.

• Like 1

For all competition shooting exempt DSSN there is no suitable semiautomatic rifle available on the market today. Anschutz and Unique used to have some weapon with reasonable precision, and they may be found in used condition. In my opinion a rifle without top precision is a vase of time, and you will regret your purchase of such a rifle when you discover unexplainable misses.

Buy a good quality bolt action and you will be satisfied with a rifle that hit where you aim. Such a rifle can be had as a hunting rifle or a competition rifle.

• Like 1

As said above, all you need is a hunting licence to own a 1022 for hunting. Which you will need anyway if your purpose is hunting. 
Agree on whats said above on bolt action for hunting. 

On the other hand...sometimes you must listen to your heart also. 
Good luck and happy hunting!

If you can live with your gun of choice not being the newest, most hyped boutique model from a famous brand, you can often find laughably affordable .22 guns on Finn.no. There are tons of older match guns, also some hunting versions of these, being sold for half or a third the price of a new CZ, Sako, Tikka etc. Finding Anschütz, Voere, Sako, and other big-name brands' very high quality guns is pretty easy, I picked up this, a Sako P72 Biathlon, for 3500 kr:

1836281083_hyrefull.jpg.8203675ebb020fdd9b6578733535b268.jpg

Well worth it ;)

Of course you often need to thread them yourself but seeing as threading is a NOK 1000 job at most places, I'd say 3-5000 for a gun plus 1000 for threading is still a hell of a lot better deal than buying a new Sako with 50% of parts being recycled LEGO for twice/thrice the price.

Ole

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1