Flott side om langholdsskyting

Aircooled

Tror neppe jeg skal lage et så utfyllende kostnad oversikt til ØKH :shock:

Takker igjen til den luftkjølte stordingen. Nå slipper jeg å kjøpe julehefter :wink:

Rifle purchase cost $2500 (not counting first barrel)

Scope purchase cost $2100

Fixed Cost Total $4600

Two replacement barrels $1200

15,000 reloads $6000

Consumables Cost Total $7200

Two classes enrollment $1600

Two classes travel & lodging $2000

Five major match entry fee $ 875

Five matches travel & lodging $5000

Five local matches per year

entry & gas money $2400

Total Training Cost $11,875

Hi,

I apologize for not speaking Norwegian. The Kammeret.no member who goes by "sirKandal" on AR15.com said you guys wouldn't mind if I posted here. I've found that whenever long-range shooters get together, they always have a lot to talk about, and I'm interested to discuss it with you.

best regards

Zak

Hi,

I apologize for not speaking Norwegian. The Kammeret.no member who goes by "sirKandal" on AR15.com said you guys wouldn't mind if I posted here. I've found that whenever long-range shooters get together, they always have a lot to talk about, and I'm interested to discuss it with you.

best regards

Zak

Hi, good to see you here.

I go by sirKandal here to as you see

Hi,

In my corner of the "practical" long-range shooting group, in the last 5 years, we have seen a movement away from both some of the medium-sized magnums like 7mm Remington Magnum and 300 Winchester Magnum and the common .308/7.62x51 towards cartridges like the .260 Remington, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor shot from magazine-fed short-action rifles. The most common rifle over here is some sort of custom-modified Remington 700, usually in a McMillan or AICS stock; however, the SAKO TRG and AI rifles are slowly becoming more popular. (My long-range rifles are all AI's with S&B scopes right now.)

Although sound suppressors (silencers) are heavily regulated in the USA, more and more shooters are paying the tax and submitting the paperwork in order to obtain them. The tax is $200, and most of the high-end rifle suppressors cost $800-1200. I've been shooting suppressed almost exclusively for two years (with the exception of 50BMG and 338-- sometimes).

338 Lapua Magnum is somewhat popular (I shoot it), however, a number of people have lately been building up rifles in .338 Remington Ultra Mag as a less expensive alternative. The ballistics are very close. Here is a photo of a 338RUM rifle I am currently testing:

D462_3980_imgbc.jpg

............... Larger version of above photo.

We have quite a good selection of "practical" matches, from IPSC, to 3-Gun / Multi-Gun, and practical long-range type matches. Here are a few photos from past matches:

D462_2833_img.jpg

D462_2910_img.jpg

D462_2986_img.jpg

Anyway, those are just some notes. I'm interested in hearing some of your experiences with rifles and LR shooting.

best regards

Zak

What are the typical ranges you shoot at in these competitions Zak?

In Norway there are only one match a year and that's in 500 BR under the Norwegian BR Association, but with slightly changed rules that allow for bi-pod and rear rest from a prone position.

They (the NBRA) are currently working on beeing accepted by the government as an approved shooting organization, and when they do there might be more matches.

However some people in the eastern part have gained access to a military facility and organize shooting a few times a year.

Due to limitations the max range now have been 750m on these gatherings, but the army have recently built a new range (800,1000,1200m) with electronic targets and wireless monitors that we hope we will get a chance to try out! :D

We have somewhat stricter regulations here than in the US, and the authorities are already beginning to set limitations to calibers.

First out were the 50 BMG and now it would seem that 416 Barrett and 460 Steyr are next.

Over here the 6.5x55 Swedish is a very popular for long lange budget shooting and offers better ballistics than the 308.

Cheap ammunition and very good access to component makes this a good choice out to 1000m, and we have members that can prove my point.

Hi,

For long-range matches, we seem to have two types:

1. The conventional or traditional styles, which include NRA High-Power, Palma, F-Class, and 1000-yard Bench Rest. These have set courses of fire, and proscribed distances, and include no movement. Time constraints are minimal. Set distances are from 100 yards to 1000 yards.

2. The "practical" or "field-style" matches, which have no set course of fire and take advantage of terrain features. These matches typically involve movement through the field and have target placement dictated by terrain features-- the match director can set up almost whatever he wants provided it's safe, to give the competitors a good challenge. At matches that my group runs, we typically have 75% of shots from 300 to 700 yards, many from challenging or poor shoot positions (off slope, cannot see from prone position, etc). Then we might have a few very small or otherwise difficult targets under 300 yards, and some targets set out to the maximum distance we can achieve in the location. It's common to have targets at 1000 yards, or out to 1200 yards.

If people shooting their law-enforcement or military "issue" .308WIN rifles will be shooting, we try to stay limited to about 1100 yards so they have a chance of hitting those targets. At the match we're running next June, we will have a target at 1350 yards.

But really, there is no set maximum distance, and I've heard of matches that start at 1000 yards and end past a mile (1760 yards)-- but I think these are more "lay and shoot" instead of "shoot and move"-type matches.

Most of the target systems we use are simply armor steel (3/8" thick usually) hanging from an "A-Frame" stand. Size ranges from 4"x4" up to 14x18" or a full USPSA/IPSC silhouette. These are easy to spot hits on because they visually move and the impact is audible even 1000+ yards away, provided the caliber is sufficient to deliver momentum on the target. We have tried some of the reactive US military target systems (plastic silhouettes that sense impact and activate), however, we have judged these to be not reliable enough to be fair to match competitors.

On calibers-- many matches do not allow 338 Lapua because they think it will damage their targets systems. In most cases this is a false fear, but we're stuck with it, I think more people here don't use the 6.5x55 because it doesn't fit properly in a short action, but there's no question it's a good LR cartridge when loaded right.

best regards

Zak

It’s some real nice places you shoot at, that’s for shore. I have stopped by your website quite a lot of times over the past years and read articles and seen your photos from shooting matches.

I must say that some day I would like to pack my rifle and go shooting long range in the US :D

The practical/field style match sounds interesting, and I hope that we can have something like this here in Norway

I have just got a Sako TRG 22, and I saw that someone at SnipersHide posted that you can use AI’s 10rn mag in the trg. Have you tried this?

But I dont think that you have 15000 Sig Sauers SSG3000/STR200 in 6,5X55 over there, either... :wink:

Its the standard rifle for competiton in Det Frivillige Skyttervesenet (DFS, the local NRA without the politics) alas irons only...

On behalf of the board - A Big Welcome... :D and we`re gointo pick your brain...;)

Interesting to get some info on the "tactical" competitions, we have something a bit along those lines over here thats called fieldshooting organised by the afore mentioned DFS, the Max distance there is about 600 meters with irons only...

I agree. I am sure that part of the reason for the "308"-size cartridges is that our most popular commercial rifles are either "short action" (308) or "long action" (length of 300WM), instead of the "x55mm" or "x57mm" cartridges.

I know there are some "sniper" matches over in Finland-- A friend of mine went over to shoot it this year.

best

Zak

Thank you for sharing your incredible pictures, what a wonderful place to hunt steel.

Here in the eastern part of Norway we were lucky to have the chance to shoot on military ground last winter.

The target setup included the following:

110 yards paper board for checking point of impact.

220 yards: 10 targets 8x8 inch

330 yards: 2 targets 12x12 inch, 1target 8x8 inch

385 yards:: 2 targets 16x16 inch, 1 target 12x12 inch

440 yards: 2 targets 16x16 inch, 1 target 12x12 inch

495 yards: 2 targets 16x16 inch, 1 target 12x12 inch

550 yards: 2 targets 16x16 inch, 1 target 12x12 inch

572 yards: 1 Megalink electronic target with wireless transmission.

(scaled to 300m math target)

605 yards: 2 targets 16x16 inch, 1 target 12x12 inch

660 yards: 2 targets 16x16 inch, 1 target 12x12 inch

825 yards: 2 targets 16x16 inch

All made out off ½ inch hardox 400.

Very nice setup with flat ground out to 330 yards, then a sloping hill with some tricky winds all the way to 825 yards ending in a ravine.

191220070006nv99SUGqZaCA4GfU6x.jpg

(picture taken with telephoto lens)

Lot of fun.

A big thanks to Roe on this forum who made this possible :)

Edited by Guest

cut-cut

I have just got a Sako TRG 22, and I saw that someone at SnipersHide posted that you can use AI’s 10rn mag in the trg. Have you tried this?

Pm me your adress, and you can try one of mine.

I guess going long range shooting in the US is something I'd like to do, perhaps in combination with a bowhunting trip, which has become a tradition.

I saw the price of a TRG 42 at Cabelas, and I suppose it was half price, or less, compared to here.

Its a bit of work to bring rifles to the us after what I've heard though.

As for competitions, I'm certain we'll start moving soon, a lot of people's gotten into this lately.

As for myself, I'm currently attempting to build a AI / Stiller/ kongsberg barrel rig in 6,5-284. Long action though, as I dont feel I need the mobility of a shorter action. And with a long action I can play around a bit more with lenght of the 6,5-284, as well as being able to do other calibers later on.

Lads, perhaps we ought to check out the Finish sniper match?

Salamander

Finland should be do-able, but boy I don't want to be dragging 24 pounds of 338 rum through the grass or in difficult terrain.

I better go barrel shopping then, maybe a nice 7mm Rum medium weight barrel would be good alternative to the 338.

Edge

• 2 weeks later...