Sauer 200 STR

Trevil

Hi all,

I`m new in this forum and I`m not from Norway, so I can speak only in english. My sorries!! :|

I am a fan of the Sauer 200 STR/Sig Sauer SSG 3000. I am in the target shooting area and I would like to purchase the Sauer 200 STR rifle therefore the reason I came in to Kammeret. I consider this rifle one of the best bolt action rifles ever made. The problem is that it´s very difficult to find it for sale outside of the scandinavian countries.

I would like to ask you, if you know some dealers that can sale these rifles outside of the scandinavian countries?

It would be a fantastic help from you.

Thanks.

Daniel

Thanks Furuoglyng for the information.

I´ve seen them in Triebel but the price is much higer than in the scandivavian dealers, about 2.800 eur.!! Uff... Almost twice the price I´ve seen in DFS in Norway for example!! Why this huge difference???

I think the Sauer 200 STR is one of the best bolt rifles ever made. It should be better known around the world by the shooting comunity and even by the military sniping arena.

Rifles like AI and the Sako TRG´s are wide recognised around the world but I think they are over rated. The prices and the fame of the rifles are over their quality. Ok, they are very good rifles but it´s more the fame than the real things!!

The 200 STR is different.

1. It´s one of the best and rugged designed actions ever made.

2. It´s made with one of the best steel avaiable. Krupps steel.

3. Has interchangeable barrels and calibers.

4. Has a very sturdy laminated stock. Laminated stocks are the most stable stocks avaiable. They are stiffer and more rigid than fiber glass for accuracy and don´t need aluminum bedding blocks whom have high thermal expansion when high temperatures, affecting the the accuracy. They are also heavier for a good accuracy platform.

5. The trigger is on pair with the Sako or the AI.

6. It has a sexy design and with a mate black Duracoat coating, turns a completly beautiful piece.

Just to mention that the AI and the Sako TRG´s had accuracy problems in Iraq and Afganistan due their aluminum chassis and bedding blocks under high temperatures in the desert. They needed all the time torque adjustments in the actions. Very cold nigths and very hot days!! The aluminum bedding block shrinks an expands more than the steel action.

All that said, this is the reason I´m looking after the Sauer 200 STR/Sig Sauer SSG 3000 (laminated stock).They are fantastic rifles!! How lucky you are guys in the nord countries!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the STR is maybe a bit underrated as a tactical sniper rifle but as I see it, it outperform almost anything in its caliber range and then some much because its some of the cheapest ready to shoot rifles around here in Scandinavia. You need to spend a lot of money on something custom stuff before you could say the STR are left in the dust. Other parts of the world though its not that great compared to what else you could buy, yes? I love my STR and has two barrels for it. Use it as a hunting rifle together with a Eberlestock Dragonfly backpack and sure its a heavy rifle but so am I :-P With a 20" S&L 308 barrel, GRS varmint stock, Zeiss 2.5-10x50 Varipoint and Spuhr mount it weights 5kg. I admit it a bit too heavy but then again its such a joy to shoot with that I'm struggling with buying something lightweight to replace it as a hunting rig. With 6.5x55 match barrel(21mm x 710mm) it weights around 7.5kg with empty magazine.

Yes it´s heavy, but accurate rifles are heavy. Heavy rifles are more accurate than ligth weigth ones. Stability is essencial to minimize vibrations. Less weigth means more recoil when shooting resulting in a less accurate rifle. That´s why I prefer heavy rifles.

What model is your GRS? Didn´t you prefer the original stock?

Edited by Guest

It is very rare to come across an institution of any kind in Norway where nobody in house understands English, or at least enough of it to send it through Google Translate. We've had mandatory English teaching in primary school for quite some time now. I'd assume uncertainty on what they should reply. Or maybe a spam filter played a small joke on you.

Oh man!! This is the tool I´d like to get.

What a nice team. Sig Sauer SSG 3000 (original laminated stock) + KAHLES. This is the dream of any precision shooter!!! Ufff...

How does it shoots?

Edited by Guest

Few years ago I ordered a 200STR through DFS shop headquarter. A lady at customer service answered my call and she seemed nice, but when I claimed that I don't have any membership and asked her about that rifle barrel brake in procedure, she somehow freaked out without knowing what I meant and hung up. I made a second call and said I really do have a valid license to purchase, so be in mind.

Maybe they aren´t used to orders from outside of Norway. And all that paper work with the authorities it´s very boring I think.

Anyway, I have a valid licence to purchase any rifle, otherwise I wouldn´t think even about it.

I´ll try emailing first, and if they don´t reply, I´ll make a call.

Yes it´s heavy, but accurate rifles are heavy. Heavy rifles are more accurate than ligth weigth ones. Stability is essencial to minimize vibrations. Less weigth means more recoil when shooting resulting in a less accurate rifle. That´s why I prefer heavy rifles.

What model is your GRS? Didn´t you prefer the original stock?

The OE stock was an excellent stock but the cheek piece is a bit low on them for larger optics like my 50mm Zeiss. I managed to rise it to a level where I could live with the result but then again the bolt was difficult to remove and I always remove the bolt when traveling or transport it in my car.

The quick adjust cheek piece on the GRS are perfect like that. It was more a question about practicality for me in the end. Now Im thinking about buying the Bolthorn stock but then the rifle would be even heavier and I really cant defend that extra weight. The Bolthorn is a very expensive stock/chassis but I could live with that if it was a bit lighter than the laminated GRS stock.

I have the Sporter stock:

http://grsriflestocks.com/our-models/mo ... er-varmint

The GRS stocks are a very well made stocks. I like the Hybrid model because of it´s tactical design.

One thing I´d do to a GRS laminated stock, would to coat it with a matte black Duracoat because I don´t like the fancy colors of the stocks. That could also protect the wood from scratches and dings and waterproofing the rifle permanently.

The Bolthorn is a very good looking stock. It is what I call a tacticool stock, but the aluminum has some drawbacks like the high thermal expansion compared to the steel of the action. Under direct sun ligth for several time, can bring you accuracy problems if you don´t check previously your point of impact. It is also very expensive too. For me, laminated wood is the best option for a all terrain rifle stock.