Jakt med Krag

HaakonSkudem

Har jaktet i mange år med min amerikanske Krag, og ett problem vi har her i USA er 0,308 jakt bullet jakker er designet for å holde en kule sammen på 0,30-'06 hastigheter og kan ikke utvide skikkelig på lavere Krag hastigheter.

Som til 6,5 Krag versus 6,5 Mauser, er det en utbredt misforståelse i USA som en hvilken som helst 6.5x55 ammunisjon er sikker i en hvilken som helst 6.5x55 rifle. Dette er en av grunnene til at jeg er her. Og det er ingen 6,5 Krag bestemt lasting av data publisert i USA. 6.5 Swedish Mauser ammo i en Krag er omtrent som 0,38-44 High Velocity (0,357 ballistikk i 0,38 Spesielle tilfeller) eller .32-20 "for rifle bare" i en revolver.

Well, you can't blame a man for trying to be neighborly and trying to make a comment more easily understandable... Anyhow, I have hunted with my US Krag for years and a major problem is that most .308 bullets are constructed to hold together at .30-06 or better velocities and sometimes won't expand at lower Krag velocities. Is this a problem with the 6.5?

Not really. The problem, as your original post touched upon, is that the Krag rifles can't handle the chamber pressures generated by modern 6.5X55 cartridges. Due to Norwegian regulations requiring a certain terminal energy if a cartridge is to be used to hunt "big game" like deer, moose, and some others, Krag owners who want to use their rifles for big game must conjure up handloads that are both safe to use in the Krag, while at the same time meeting the energy requirements. Not an easy task and probably not suitable for beginners.

A lot of States have similar regulations; in the US hunting law is an almost exclusively State function. I have always liked Sierra bullets, but another issue they have is the crimping cannelure on their 220 grain Game King is placed for the shorter neck for the .30-06, and if used for .30-40 the overall length will be considerably off, and the shells won't fit in the magazine.