Scot's man now living in Telemark :)

bigted

Hei

First let me apologise for not using Norwegian but as of now it is not my best language so hopefully you can bear with me :) and probably understand me easier than me using Norwegian ( I am currently starting to learn Norwegian but at my age it takes time :)

I am a Scots man who gave up life in Scotland for the love of my life a Norwegian girl and moved here last year , I was a very passionate hunter in Scotland stalking both Red and Roe deer on hill and forest but when I moved here last year I decided to sell my rifles and try and live life with out hunting but as the time as gone past it has become harder to ignore my passion for the countryside and for hunting . When I moved from the UK I was a member on Stalking Directory and exchanged messages with Johner who gave me a lot of good advice . I still have a good interest in how things are going with members in the UK and how the Hunting is going as I still have possibilities for stalking in the Uk when ever I venture back there .

Since I am finding it very hard to ignore my passion for hunting I have decided to start all over again here in Norway and any advice or help in guiding me in the right direction is greatly appreciated as I am finding it hard to find any information as to what I need to do in helping me get back into Hunting here in this lovely country :D

Thanks

Karl

Welcome bigted :D

Glad to hear that you`re not giving up hunting. It`s in your blood :wink:

As Hassel says, the first step might be to contact the local "jeger og fiskeforening".

You can also try to find a shooting range near you. And for God sake, get a new rifle...soon :D

But we don't like you scotsmen stealing our brides. We have fought about this in earlier days, remember? Then you scottish guys were mad because we stole your girls (and cows and other stuff). So now you think it's about time to get even? Hey, that party we're talking about happened a thousand years ago! Get over it! :mrgreen:

Contact NJFF. They will will be happy to help you. Good luck. Thank you for single malt, and God save the haggis.

Telemark has everything to offer a rifle or shotgun hunter. Reindeer, elk, red and roe. Add to that such oddities as beaver, capercaillie and blackgame and you could be ocupied almost year round. Ptarmigan and grouse can also be found, so there is no reason to stay gunless. What were you thinking..?

Where do you live, anyway? Most rural areas have a high density of hunters, and getting to know some will ease your way back in to hunting.

How to find hunting otherwise? Jff and your local shooting range has been mentioned already, but http://www.inatur.no" target="_blank is also a good option. Talk to anyone with farmland and ask if you can join them for the elk hunt if a space opens up. If you contribute to the skinning, gralloching and transportation of the deer, you will soon become a popular man. Besides, there is no reason not to travel outside Telemark :-)

First step first: You need to get registered in the Norwegian registry of hunters and buy the "jegeravgift". If you have any hunting related qualification to show from the uk (Deer stalking certificate or similar), that will probably be sufficient as documentation. More info here: http://www.brreg.no/jeger" target="_blank. Call them and ask ho you can get registered.

Second: You need to use your registry as a hunter to apply for a firearms license. It is not nearly as strict as in the uk, and you'll get up to six long guns without much trouble as a registered hunter. Your local police will have the required application form. Processing time is is 2-8 weeks usually.

Third: Buy a gun and gun cabinet. Anything from 6,5x55 and up is legal for elk and everything else.

Fourth: You need to pass the hunter shooting proficiency test with every rifle you intend to use for big game every year. Two visits to the range required for a combined minimum of 30 practice rounds before the actual test: 5 shots on a deer target within a marked 30 cm circle at 100m. Your choice of position, but not support or bipod.

All legal and ready. Less complicated than it sounds! Welcome to Norway by the way. You'll like it here!

Well thank you all for the welcome and the information it always looks easier once you know what to do :D

I have now done the first step and sent my Local NJFF office and email so will wait and see what response I get ,

Muntjac thank you for the very detailed reply if I follow it step by step sure I will be hunting again soon :D As for my location in Telemark , We have bought a house between Gvarv and Bø not far from Hørte so hopefully there are some kind hunters around here that need an assistant :D

When I hunted in the Uk I sat the Deer Stalking Certificate 1 but I will contact the hunters register and see if it enough or if I have to do the hunters test here .

It does all sound a lot less complicated than in the UK and a lot easier to own rifles , In the Uk it could sometimes be a right pain in the ass trying to own certain calibre's .

Truls I am glad you enjoy our malt whiskey and Haggis wish I could say the same about Aquavit and Kumla but I am working on it :D

All the best and save hunting

Many thanks

Karl