Help - Sale of a rifle, before purchasing a new one!

Jonathan

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry that this is written in English, my Norwegian is still very basic :roll:

I have a .22LR rifle which I am going to sell before buying a new .22LR. Can someone please advise me how I should go about this regarding the weapon laws and the necessary paperwork as I want to ensure everything is done correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hilsen

Jonathan

Its two entirely different operations. When you`re selling your gun, the buyer needs to have the normal, approved form for buying the gun, when the form is properly filled out, the buyer gets the temporary weaponspermit (the blue sheet of the form),you as seller sends in the original (white sheet) and the pink sheet to the police and keep the yellow one for yourself

Put the yellow form in binder or some safe place, as the paperwork may get lost and its nice to have the proper documentation if the police should ask for the whereabouts of the weapon.

As to buying an new gun, you have to go throught the normal approval process, and you get to keep the blue form, put that in the same binder or safe place as the yellow, for the same reasons... :wink:

Personally, I'd apply for the new rifle first. Make sure that you write on the application form that you are planning to sell your current rifle, and that the new one is intended as a replacement, otherwise you'll probably not get the application approved. Normally the application will be approved, but with a notice that you are required too sell your old .22LR rifle. Or you could drop by the police station, have a chat with the person responsible for weapon licences and ask him/her for the best way to do it according to their standards ;)

A tip: If you are planning to use the new rifle primarily for training, do not write "hunting" as the intended use for the gun. The new regulations which have been approved (but which are not active yet) puts a limit of ownership of six hunting rifles. If you're not going to hunt with the rifle, you don't want to take up space on your hunting rifle licences ;) My .22LR is licenced for "training for hunting", which is my (primary) use for a .22LR.

A tip: If you are planning to use the new rifle primarily for training, do not write "hunting" as the intended use for the gun. The new regulations which have been approved (but which are not active yet) puts a limit of ownership of six hunting rifles. If you're not going to hunt with the rifle, you don't want to take up space on your hunting rifle licences ;) My .22LR is licenced for "training for hunting", which is my (primary) use for a .22LR.

Sako 30-06,

Thank you for the advice regarding the new weapon laws and their implications.

The .22LR I'm going to puchase is going to be used for both training (80%) and hunting (20%), so what your saying is, list it as a "training for hunting rifle" and this will not take up one on my hunting licences but I can still legally hunt with it?

Thanks

Jonathan

list it as a "training for hunting rifle" and this will not take up one on my hunting licences but I can still legally hunt with it?

That is a matter of debate :mrgreen: Do a search, and you'll find slightly differing opinions on the forum on that point. So far, I haven't been arrested for using my hunting rifles for "jaktfelt" sport shooting (and I haven't heard of anyone else either), but if someone, sometime becomes as anal on that point as PoD currently is on using hunting shotguns for IPSC shooting, I'd have to buy myself a couple of new rifles...

In my book, it's the primary use of the gun that counts. But, as mentioned, opinions may differ slightly...

Another little trick regarding the pesent regulations is to apply for different use of each weapon. A .222 :arrow: small game, .243 :arrow: roe deer, 6,5x55 :arrow: reindeer, .308 for moose, 375 H&H for Africa hunting and so on. And .22LR for practicing purposes as mentioned above. :wink:

Shotguns the same; a ligth side-by-side 12/70 for grouse hunting, a heavy pump action 12/76 for geese or roe deer etc.

By the way; If you ever travel North give me a hint, always room for a fellow hunter eager to learn and join in for some fun hunting up here! :D Mostly Arctic Hare and red roe deer hunt with proper dogs.