Bra Elk og Sport Rifler?

SpringbokRider

Hi,

I've recently completed my hunting course here in Norway and soon sending off the application to the police for my rifle. I wanted to ask if anyone can recommend the cheapest caliber round that I can use for hunting large game, but also sports target shooting. I'd prefer .223, but that doesn't really work with the 2700 jules/100m requirement. Would 30-06 be the cheapest option? Obviously later on I can get more than one rifle, but looking for a good all purpose rifle to start.

Thanks!

If you plan to shoot alot (sports shooting/ practice) 6.5x55 stands out as the cost effective, simple and forgiving example.

No big game round can be shot for less money here in Norway, given the large scale use of match/target ammo by the DFS. It represents the legal minimum for BG, but is somewhat debated. However, it IS legal.

It also sports low recoil, and is thus easy to shoot/practice, and learn to shoot. Although for the latter, i reccommend a 22LR, and some 10 000 rounds ;)

If your shooting is mostly hunting and some practice for the hunt, it really does not matter, and you buy the cheapest, nicest rifle that you like. But it will be simpler if it is a 6.5, a 308, or a 30-06, as supply of such ammunition is much easier than many other rounds.

Be sure to have funds left for a quality scope - it is often regarded the sccope is more important. As most rifles do work, and are accurate enough.

K

Hi,

Great, thanks for the suggestion. It looks like it would be a pleasant round to shoot. I'll go have a look what options are available in 6.5 x 55 - maybe Tikka T3 Super Varmint.

I have done plenty of shooting before, but was still thinking of a 22lr rifle (Ruger 10/22 or Savage Mk2) for cheap fun and to practice trigger pulls and such due to low recoil. However, it can wait for the moment. I have a 44 magnum lever action for fun shooting and small game which I brought to Norway on an EU firearms pass.

Arguably the cheapest (somewhat) decent boltrifle would be one of the Savages over at G-Max. 30-06 with a scope (probably a shitty scope, but hey..) for 3000 NOK, or the same rifle in 308 without a scope but with short wooden stock also for 3000. I had actually ordered the 30-06, but stumbled across a used Remington 700 on finn.no for the same money and opted for that instead.

I recently shot such a Savage. Two guys had bought rifles, one Remington 783-something, and one Savage something, for the same money basically. One at XXL, and one at J&F as i understood it. A 308 and a 30-06.

Both had el Cheapo scopes. Or at least, no-name scopes that worked well enough at the range, fair optics, and good enough adjustment dials and clicks. For the money, actually quite impressive.

They needed help sighting in, since they knew nothing about shooting nor adjusting sights, fresh from the hunting certification exam...

Anyway, the Remmy, usable ok, but how can an engineer design such crap, and keep going to work? The Savage was much less crude, and the trigger not bad at all. It loaded flawlessly from the magazine (which the Remmy did not), and the magazine stayed in place during shooting, which the Remingtons did not... It kept falling out.

Given they had paid the same (Remmy guy had gotten a "better" scope) I would say such a Savage is quite good value for money. 5kNOK i belive, or 4990,- but one might have ben 5990,-

Both rifles held the 10-ring without problems, with the Sellier & Bellot ammo they had with them. I can not shoot much better than that with a light rifle with a lawyer-proof trigger, så they may be much better. In fact, they probably are. But get the Savage.

K

Yeah Remington QA isn't what it used to be apparently. My 2015 production 870 is.. let's say, rough, to put it friendly.

I went for a used Remington rifle for the same money because I really like the Lego-capabilities of it. Less stuff to tinker with with the Savages. I also hope that Remington was still good in '81 :D.