Andy Mass

Good morning, 

new member from the UK

I am not new to rifle shooting and have been involved in competition for many years -  tactical competitions held in Czech Republic, F class as a member of the GB Team in 2013 traveling to the World Championships in the USA, I also look after the management of native deer on areas of land near to my home.

Ive recently become interested in precision rifle shooting competitions held in the UK and would, one day like to travel to compete in the Viking Rifle series or MIdnite Sun challenges   

I have been building rifles in a part time basis for the last 13 years and hold the relevant permit to do so here in the UK

Thats the introduction over 😀

I am interested in building a rifle using a SSG 3000 or STR 200 action for PRS - these are not readily available in the UK

Before I pursue this, would anyone currently competing in PRS be able to comment of this actions negative / positive points over a custom Remington clone type action ?

I do build quite a few custom builds using Borden actions but always want to do something different 

Thank you In advance 

Edited by Andy Mass
  • Like 3

Sitat

Before I pursue this, would anyone currently competing in PRS be able to comment of this actions negative / positive points over a custom Remington clone type action ?

Everything on a 200STR is by far and wide better than a Rem 700, not so far and wite over a high quality clone, but still better - in a PRS viewpoint. Except one thing. 5rd magazines are std, and 7rd is the highest capacity magazines available.

The 200STR can accommodate a full length 6.5x55 - which is fair priced and high quality here in Norway. The R700 does not, and hence, the popularity of the 200STR her. Also, the 200STR is fair priced compared to the quality, since it is the std. rifle of the DFS.

Also, the 200STR contains a few differences and ideas than other rifles, and is probably a matter of taste. 

K

Hi and welcome to the forum,

While I don't think a 200/3000 build would be "wrong" so to speak, keep in mind one factor of putting one together where the parts are harder to source. One of the biggest strengths of the 200 in Scandinavia is the  varied and easily available number of new barrels, stocks, sight mounts, etc. While surely optic mounts and stocks aren't that hard to get a hold of (several big European mfgs touch on the 200) barrels might be a bigger issue. Depending on the amount of ammo you go through each year you might feel a need to have several barrels for it. It's also common to have different profile/length barrels for different uses, people who shoot DFS, PRS, and hunt with the same rifle typically have a bunch of different barrels for the same receiver. The barrels are easily swapped by the end user with hand tools, no stupid wrenches or painstakingly precise timing is required aside from torquing up the barrel retaining bolts in the lower forward end of the receiver.

6,5x55 and 7,62x51 barrels, as well as .22 LR conversion kits, are readily available here. There is some degree of interchangability of 200 STR and Sauer 202 barrels, the 202 barrels needing a modification to fit the 200s, while 200 barrels fit the 202 receivers. YMMW.

The 200 is a very smooth and slick action, check "Stangskyting" if you're wondering just how slick.

The safety catch on the 200 is pretty much a matter of preference, I think it's a very smart and easy to operate design, other people don't care for it at all. Mags are easily swapped and the bolt throw/close is very smooth, safe to say I'd pick a 200/3000 over a R700 or even a (plastic magazine) Tikka.

Keep in mind that the 200/3000 have a dovetail rail machined into the receiver as well, if you're dead set on using Picatinny rails, you need a base that goes onto the dovetail. Otherwise there are several types of rings and mounts that go directly onto the receiver, Spuhr makes some, to mention one name.

Ole

Thank you for your responses so far

I was planning on using commercially available barrel extension and using a Bartlein  barrel to make up my own with attached barrel extension of locking into the receiver - I’d chamber the barrel myself

Stock wise I have considered the Vision and Jet-01 chassis but was also thinking I could adapt a stock I have here (PSE ETac) to use with the STR/SSG reciever

This is something I have done before with a PGW Coyote Action and PSE stock

Im aware of the tear action screw being in different place to “normal” but it shouldn’t be too difficult to adapt the stock to accommodate the rear action screw position

Thank you 

Edited by Andy Mass