En tur langs Norges kyst (NB: masse bilder!)

Øystein

Laget denne for et annet forum jeg er på, men tenkte at noen her også kunne like bildene. Følgeteksten er på engelsk, dog :)

So earlier this summer I went up to Tromsø on a family meet, and decided instead of just flying back down to Oslo, I would take my time and actually see the coast for once.

So I booked a voyage on the Hurtigruten coastal cruise from Tromsø down to Bergen, it's end stop. This was a 3.5 day journey.

From there I rented a car and drown down the coast, around the southern tip of Norway and back home, a total of 1100km.

So here is a small selection of pictures I took, I have 670 pictures I'm weeding down and going to put in some webalbums, but I've picked out about 60 I liked and showing them here so people can get an idea how our coastal regions looks like, and not just the interior ones Semmern keeps posting :D

Starting off in Tromsø, one of the peaks you very quickly notice is Tromsdaltinden, which occupies the view eastwards from the city. Snow had fallen on it just days before. The day I arrived it was a cool 7C and raining, but thankfully the day after was beautiful.

P1000107.jpg

On the right of that picture you can notice a cable car system, going up to the mountain called Fløya. From the top of it you get great views over Tromsø and the surrounding area. It's also high enough that planes coming to land at Tromsø Airport southern approach comes in below you.

P1000132.jpg

From the cable car station you can hike up to the first summit, which I of course had to do.

P1000135.jpg

From the summit looking at Tromsdaltinden:

P1000137.jpg

At the first summit I got some other tourists to take a picture of me overlooking Tromsø properly. This view is towards the west. It's 2320ish at night, and you can clearly see the sun.

P1000157.jpg

Overlooking Tromsø, which is situated on an small island. Behind it is Kvaløya (whale island) which is the fifth largest island in Norway.

P1000165.jpg

A couple of days later we went out to the far side of Kvaløya to visit relatives who had cabins there, and for a festive meal. All along the coastline of Norway you will find the remains of old german coastal defences which all took part of Festuning Norwegen.

P1000217.jpg

P1000212.jpg

Looking north from where we visited, you can see the very distinct Håja island.

P1000222.jpg

Just 10 minutes north of where we stayed you will find the pictoresque island of Sommerøya (Summer Island), with gorgeous sand beaches and pure blue waters.

P1000226.jpg

Typical coastal terrain

P1000229.jpg

Håja seen more closely. It has the most amazing coloring.

P1000239.jpg

A typical north norwegian coastal community

P1000242.jpg

Ishavskatedralen (Arctic Cathedral) in Tromsø, which shape is said to be heavily influences by Håja (you can clearly see it).

P1000252.jpg

Then I got onto the cruise ship in Tromsø, it arrived at 2330 and leaves at 0130, so the first views I got was when I woke up the next morning in Harstad (which incidently I served my army service time). It was a gorgeous day and the views just as fine.

P1000272.jpg

P1000276.jpg

P1000280.jpg

THe constant snow melting leaves small waterfalls and mountainside brooks all over the place

P1000292.jpg

Some members of the cruise going off in a smaller boat to spot Sea Eagles

P1000300.jpg

We're now in the Lofoten area of Norway, which is a chain of islands going from just north of Narvik and stretching out into the North Sea. They're what I really wanted to see on this journey.

P1000303.jpg

Heading into the Trollfjord, a small fjord with steep cliff walls.

P1000311.jpg

Looking up the sheer walls, almost 1000 meters.

P1000318.jpg

The gorgeous view of inside the fjord

P1000327.jpg

Once inside, the ship just turned around and sailed back out.

P1000328.jpg

Looking back into the fjord.

P1000329.jpg

The magnificent Lofoten vistas.

P1000336.jpg

Local beach in Svolvær. We had a 2 hour stop there, so I went ribbing along with two others and got to see some local sights.

P1000338.jpg

The next day and further south you reach the mountain Torghatten, which has a 35 meter high hole through the middle of it, thanks to erosion.

P1000367.jpg

A picture of the ship I was in at one of the many stops.

P1000370.jpg

A traditional sailing/fishing vessel.

P1000378.jpg

In Trondheim on day two. Munkholmen fortress, and an unknown sailing vessel.

P1000387.jpg

Ormen Lange, Norways largest natural gas refinery. From here we ship gas 1200km to Easington, UK.

P1000415.jpg

More views along our western shore. You can see how it's changed from the crags and steep mountains of the Lofoten and northern lands.

P1000421.jpg

Sunset

P1000457.jpg

P1000468.jpg

At my coastal destination, Bergen. It also has a cable car up to a mountain (Ulriken), from where you can get this view of Bergen.

P1000475.jpg

On top of Ulriken, the terrain is much like that of the interior highland.

P1000494.jpg

After an hour and half hike you can look down the other side of the Ulriken mountain.

P1000505.jpg

Bryggen, the old waterfront which is on the World Heritage List.

P1000520.jpg

Håkonshallen, built in 1250-60ish by king Håkon IV Håkonsson of Norway.

P1000526.jpg

Statsråd Lemkhul, one of the three big tall ships in Norway.

P1000546.jpg

From Bergen I drove east into the Hardangerfjord.

P1000570.jpg

Reading a brochure at the hotel in Bergen I figured out that there is a great waterfall just 15 minutes from where I would be crossing with the ferry over the Hardanderfjord. So I decided I had to go see it.

From a vantage point on one side of the waterfall. Thats as close to the edge I dared go. And yes, noone has thought about fencing it in. You fall down, better luck next reincarnation.

P1000582.jpg

Vøringsfossen, one of Norways most visited natural sights. The main fall is 145 meters. The river is actually used for power generations, but during summertime they have to let a minium amount of water flow through it to maintain the waterfall.

P1000592.jpg

Driving along the coast you will see places like these. Where you'd believe noone could live.

P1000602.jpg

Glaciar ice.

P1000611.jpg

Driving south and into the mountains I came across this. Låtefossen, not quite as spectacular as Vøringsfossen.

P1000614.jpg

The next day I was due to take a ferry into Lysefjorden, then drive up the road from there and go hiking to Kjerag, a popular spot for extreme sports (of which I do none).

But as you can see, the weather wasn't cooperating.

P1000620.jpg

How close can you get...

P1000627.jpg

Almost trollish.

P1000645.jpg

The bottom of Kjerag. It's about 1000 meters straight up. That small grassy place on the right is where all the base jumpers actually land. It even has an anemoscope (I had to look that word up, heh) to show the wind direction. Needless to say, noone was jumping that day.

P1000648.jpg

Crossing the mountains (again), I broke into sunny weather. As I had time to spare from not going to Kjerag, I decided to visit the small town of Flekkefjord. Typical south norwegian town center.

P1000652.jpg

From there I drove to Lindesnes, the southernmost tip of Norway.

Mandatory selfprotrait standing on the southernmost tip of the Norwegian mainland.

P1000670.jpg

Lindenes Lighthouse.

P1000673.jpg

Looking east.

P1000675.jpg

Only a couple of kilometers to go for the North Cape, northermost tip of Norway.

P1000679.jpg

My final night was spent in Kristiansand, the largest city along our southern coast. Also home of the tallship Sørlandet.

P1000680.jpg

Just outside Kristiansand is Møvik Fortress, built by the germans during WWII, and home of the second largest coastal artillery battery in the world. The largest being Trondenes Fort in Harstad (which houses 406mm guns). Møvik houses a mere 380mm SK C-34 naval gun (the same as was on Tirpitz and Bismarck), with a range of around 55km. The fort originally had 3 guns (with a 4th being built), but after WWII two of the guns were scrapped, but thankfully the last one was kept.

P1000724.jpg

P1000733.jpg

The view from on top of the bunker of cannon II.

P1000735.jpg

The remains of the foundation for cannon III.

P1000743.jpg

I hope people enjoy the photos, because I most certainly enjoyed the vacation and finally seeing more of this wonderful country I live in.

Cheers

Øystein