Norwegian Suppressors

dd95

Hi everyone!

I don't speak much Norwegian myself, so I have to stick with English.

I've heard a lot of good things regarding Norwegian suppressors/silencers both in terms of quality and availability. I was told that like New Zealand, anyone (including foreigners) in Norway can basically buy suppressors without needing any permit and bring them back to their home country. Can you please advise me if this is true? Most posts are written on 2013/2014 and can't find any recent ones.

I'll be in Norway this summer and I'm interested in buying some suppressors if it's possible.

Thanks and have a great day!

Nja, that is not true. Sale of a supprosser wich is to be exported requres an export license. It isconsidered the sellers responsibillity to ensure this license is in place. Thisis goverend by international rules, not Norwegian law.

https://www.regjeringen.no/no/tema/utenrikssaker/Eksportkontroll/aktuelt/lisensplikt/id2540455/

In real life you will probably not get any problems if you buy a suppresor, toss it in your suitcase and go back home.  But it is not legal.

• Like 1

I highly doubt you as a private person can face any legal repercussions in Norway should you be found to be exporting a suppressor without the export licenses. However, on the off chance you would, there's not a (publicized) legal precedent that would be the grounds of an eventual case.

Depending on where you're from it's probably a chance to take. US, Canada, certain EU countries (like Czech Rep. or Germany) I would be pretty damn careful about taking a suppressor into, especially the former. 

In Norwegian legislation, suppressors are inert accessories not governed by any law. You can purchase them over-the-counter, by specifying threads and caliber, but I doubt all stores will be willing to sell one to a tourist.

I would send an e-mail to the Norwegian UD/Export control and ask to be on the safe side. With things like these, it is really easier to ask for permission than forgiveness..

If you stay in Oslo just visit some of the shops selling guns and buy over the counter.

XXL "sporting goods supermarket" are all over the place.

Same with G-sport

Near the tourist trap Vigerland park you have "Intersport Bogstadveien" located 300m from the main entrance of the park. http://www.intersport-bogstadveien.no/  They have much more in stock than they have on their website.

These mufflers also fit RC-engines..

Edited by Torf

Thanks for the answers everyone! I really appreciate them. I will try to contact some stores to see if they can help me out with the export permit/have more information on them should I decide to buy some.

Thanks again!

dd95, to what country do you want to import the suppressors? If it is is ot NZ or another country without restrictions on suppressors then I would expect no problem on either end. And, I do not expect that you will encounter any problems with buying suppressors in Norway, or exporting the suppressors out of Norway. But you might run into problems if you try to import the suppressors to a country where there are restrictions on suppressors. In which case the Norwegian stores will not be able to help you, and you need to look into import regulations to your country, and apply for an import permit.    

11 timer siden, dd95 skrev:

Thanks for the answers everyone! I really appreciate them. I will try to contact some stores to see if they can help me out with the export permit/have more information on them should I decide to buy some.

Thanks again!

If you're in the US you're not going to be able to import the suppressor legally. Unfortunately the NFA of 1934 makes importation of suppressors impossible, which is why the American market only has American-made suppressors.