Australian shooter curious about Norwegian laws

m38shortrifle

Hello all,

Firstly, my apologies for starting a thread in English. I am aware that this is a Norwegian Forum, but I've been unable to find some of the answers I've been looking for, so I thought I'd come to the best source.

My fiancée is Norwegian and she wants to move back there to be with her family, and so, I've been trying to look into Norwegian gun laws to see if they're any better than here. I'm from Australia, so the laws are very restrictive. From what I've read about Norwegian laws they seem to have many similarities, but Norwegians seem to have better access to auto loaders. Much like Norway we need to have a firearms licence, a genuine reason of ownership, an approved safe, and transport laws seem to be the same also. Although, it's some of the finer details that I'm curious about, and I can't find them anywhere.

So, I've got a few questions.

Are there any magazine restrictions?

Are there any restrictions on how many firearms you can own?

What are the laws regarding modern semi automatic rifles?

What is regarded as an approved safe? Here in Australia all safes need to be purchased that are rated for firearms use, any safes under 120kg need to be bolted to the floor, and then finally they need to be inspected by a police officer. At that point the safe is 'approved'. Does Norway have similar laws regarding storage?

What age can people under 18 shoot? In Australia we have a juniors licence, which allows children at the age of 12 to shoot firearms under the supervision of a licenced adult, but I can't seem to find an equivalent for Norway.

I'd love to get some answers to these questions, I really would be sincerely grateful.

Cheers :D

AS of now, no mag restrictions, but EU is lurking.. we will see.

Yes to the number of firearms you can own, depending on if your a hunter or competitive shooter, or both.

As of now we can own certain semi autos for hunting, and others for competition, again no idea what will happen in the future. 

Yes, seems to have about same laws for safe, our limit is 150KG though.

You can teach your kids to shoot, the gun owner is responsible for the safety. 

• Like 1

Basically, you'll be better of in Norway if you're interested in shooting for the time being. But there are always people that are trying to ruin it for us.

Gun safes don't have to be inspected here, they are approved on a model by model basis and receives "FG approval", as long as buy one that have FG approval you're good to go.

• Like 1

In the proposal to a new firearms law, magazines with a capacity of more than 20 rds for handguns and 10 rds for rifles will be restricted. Either completely banned, or legal only for competitive shooters in disciplines that require them. (That is IPSC and the national reserve officers' association). This is in line with the new EU firearms directive.

Semiautomatic and pump shotguns are restricted to 4+1 capacity, detachable magazines are illegal for shotguns except for bolt-actions. 

If you are a registered hunter (requires mandatory training and an exam + a yearly fee), you can own six long firearms without any other justification. You can apply for more, but that requires that you prove an "exceptional reason", and it seems that most police departments interpret this very strictly.

You can own long and short firearms for competition that are within the technical regulations of the various shooting associations. You need to prove membership of the association in question and a minimum level of mandatory training and activity. You will normally not be allowed to buy more than one firearm for each discipline you shoot, unless you prove a high level of activity, then you may be permitted a spare firearm for each discipline. You may be denied a permit to buy a firearm if you already own one that can be used in the discipline. This can lead to some disputes, as a firearm that is within the technical rules of a discipline may not be competitive at all.

The number of firearms for competiton use you can own is thus limited in principle by the number of disciplines you shoot and the level of activity you demonstrate. I guess you will run out of spare time before you reach that theoretical limit.  

• Like 1

Just a small technicality. You don't have to pay the yearly hunting fee to own your hunting firearms. It's just necessary to actually hunt.

@m38shortrifle Just tell your fiancée while she's waiting for your answer that you can't commit to something like this until you're absolutely sure the gun laws are acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you very much everyone for the quick replies. You've all really helped.

Is there any advantage to being a competitive shooter over a hunter? Can you still shoot in competitions as a hunter? Are you allowed to own different firearms as a competitive shooter?

What about OAL laws? Are Norwegians able to own short barred rifles and shotguns?

So, a hunter can own 6 longarms, but they cannot be chambered for the same cartridge, and if they're an autoloader they must be from an approved list of firearms, unless they fire a rimfire cartridge?

@slemmo  Haha, yes, I haven't committed to anything yet. It would be a big move. Although, Norwegians do seem to have much more common-sense firearm laws. I'd love to finally get to enjoy some semi automatics, as I've been restricted to bolt, lever, and break action rifles and shotguns for my whole shooting life. 

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by m38shortrifle

Minimum barrel length is 40 cm, OAL minimum is 84 cm. The law is technically written so you could a apply for a SBR or SBS, but I've never ever heard of anyone who has gotten one. (And I know of only one myself who tried.)

Hunting guns can be six of the same gun in the same caliber. Semiautos has to be on the list. Semiauto .22's has to have been sold in Norway before the new law came. Can't remember the date right now. 

All competition in Norway is run by an organization, and you have top be member of that organization, or a member club to be entitled to compete.

Minimum overall OAL is 84cm.

As a hunter you can own 6 longarms of whatever model/caliber you want (semiautos of they are on the semiauto list). If you want 6 Sauer 303s in the same caliber that's up to you.

Currently I shoot Service Rifle and Centrefire Gallery Rifle. Although, I would love to get into more of a practical shooting discipline, something like 3 gun. Of course that's impossible in Australia, and would require one to be a competitive shooter in Norway. Since I do also like to hunt, it seems like I'd be more suited to going for both, but yet starting out as a hunter. Even just hunters in Norway have it better than the average shooter here, just on the type of firearms they can own in general. Having the ability to own semi auto .22's, various semi auto centrefire rifles, semi auto and pump shotguns, suppressors, and magazines that hold more than 10 rounds are just a few examples of the better laws. So, I'm very confident that the laws are indeed better than here.

The approved list of semi automatics is very impressive, and even hunters can have some very nice rifles. Although, if I'm reading it correctly all of these (on the hunting approved list) firearms had to be in the country before 2004? So, there's only a certain number of them, and no more are being allowed into the country?

What about the purchase of ammunition? Are you only permitted to purchase ammunition for firearms that you own?

3 minutes ago, m38shortrifle said:

The approved list of semi automatics is very impressive, and even hunters can have some very nice rifles. Although, if I'm reading it correctly all of these (on the hunting approved list) firearms had to be in the country before 2004? So, there's only a certain number of them, and no more are being allowed into the country?

What about the purchase of ammunition? Are you only permitted to purchase ammunition for firearms that you own?

The 2004 rule is the other way around, semi auto rifles that were legal before 2004 but are not on the current list are still legal to own and purchase...so it's and exemption from the approved list. And yes, you can only buy ammo in calibers you own firearms.

The rifles on the hunting and competition approved lists can still be imported and bought new (if they are still being produced.) The part about 2004 is an exception that makes semi-automatic hunting rifles that are not on the list, but legally acquired before 2004, possible to resell. Competition rifles not on the list are not resellable (except to collectors), but may be kept by the current owner.

You can only buy ammunition for weapons you own (you have to show your permit in the shop or mail a copy if you buy on the web), except for shotgun ammo, which you can buy with a hunter's licence, at least if you were 16/18 yrs old in 1990 when licencing was introduced for break-open shotguns (this makes this rule a little tricky to enforce). There has been no mandatory registration of break-open shotguns sold before that date, so there are quite a lot of them around without permits. In order to buy one of these unregistered shotguns however, you must apply for a permit and have it registered. 

• Like 1

Brand new semis are still being sold. Even new developments as long are they are labeled as the "old" model. For example the newish 10/22 models are sold here without them needing to be approved as they apparently are not seen by law as being different to the age old standard 10/22 model.

Also the list for hunting approved semis was recently expanded a bit, for example M1 Garands are now legal to hunt with (as long as one adheres to the limit of max. 3 (or was it four) cartridges in the magazine when hunting).

Be aware that when you apply for your first firearmslicense in Norway you will probably be asked to provide documentation that you are not a mass murderer and generally are fit to own a firearm. I moved to Norway few years back and had to contact the police in my homecountry to provide proof that I had no criminal record; which was a bit of a bureaucratic hassle.

When it comes to kids and firearms I do not really know what the laws say, but I have observed a father chaperoning his 12-ish yo son at the clay pigeon range with the son generally handling the firearm by himself. This seemed to be perfectly acceptable and nobody bat an eyelid.

It seems one has relative freedom at gun ranges in letting friends and family, kids included, fire your firearms as long as you act as a tutor and follow the safety rules.

As far as 3-gun and similar activities concerns...I think that is rather limited in Norway if it even exists at all (although I could be wrong there). I personally would love to get started with practical shotgunning, but that seems to be completely non-existant here. Not quite sure why, as 5+1 pumps and semis are perfectly legal to own.

Edited by odin1899
expanded my post
  • Like 1

Just to clarify the semiauto stuff, the models on the list are approved for purchase in their respective categories regardless of production date. The "sold before x" clause is only relevant for .22LR semiautos, and considers model name/number and not the individual firearm.

You are mixing up two regulations. .22 semiautos sold before the statute came  into force (2011) may be legally purchased, new or used.  

Centre-fire semi-auto hunting rifles legally purchased before 2004 may still be purchased. (That will mostly pertain to older out of production models, e.g. HK sl series) 

Ah, I see. I was getting the two confused. Thank you all for clearing that up for me.

On 10/04/2017 at 11:11 PM, slemmo said:

Just a small technicality. You don't have to pay the yearly hunting fee to own your hunting firearms. It's just necessary to actually hunt.

So, do you only pay the fee if you want to hunt that year? Is there are fee you must pay just to keep the firearms?

44 minutter siden, Lille Arne skrev:

You are mixing up two regulations. .22 semiautos sold before the statute came  into force (2011) may be legally purchased, new or used.  

Centre-fire semi-auto hunting rifles legally purchased before 2004 may still be purchased. (That will mostly pertain to older out of production models, e.g. HK sl series) 

Well would you know. Funny then, that the HK91 is not allowed for hunting... HK SL8 is on the competition list, not the hunting list.

The SL6, SL7, and HK770 have been sold legally for hunting purpose as I am sure you're aware of.

As for the fee it's a set fee for hunting. One fee for small game, one larger fee if you are hunting big game as well (subject to a shooting test before you have your hunting license card signed).

There is no fee paid to keep firearms in your posession, only the fee for applying (1/1 court fee first time applying to acquire one or multiple firearms, 1/2 court fee all following times, 1/4 court fee for legally controlled gun parts and air guns subject to registration).

Tråden er rapportert.

Det var voldsomt hvor hjelpsomme vi er, når det vi tror er en australiener, ønsker å skaffe seg halvautorifler med store magasiner. Mener å huske at svarene ofte, klokt nok, er litt mer restriktive ovenfor unge og entusiastiske halvautofantaster som skriver på norsk. 

Er det egentlig så lurt å ha en tråd på engelsk, med oppskrifta på hva og hvordan disse kan skaffes?

To m38 shortrifle: The POD (Norwegian Police Department) will have alle the answers you seek, you can phone them directly at 23364100. The contrycode for Norway is  47. If you ask for Mr. Svendsen, you'll get it directly from the source.

All den dag det er snakk om ervervelse her til lands så er det grenser for hvor mye "skade" en slik tråd kan gjøre. Dersom ønsket er å gå det minste under radaren så er det ingenting her i tråden som ikke finnes like enkelt på lovdata, og sikkert andre utenlandske kilder for den del. Det ikke bare litt selvforherligende å mene at dine grunner for å like dine våpen er mer "høyverdige" og "akseptable" enn mine grunner for å like halvauto. Eller mener du at man må ha en prøveperiode med å foretrekke manuelle børser før man får lov til å like halvauto?

Oh, about POD: If you call them, you might get lucky and be given the absolute truths, as that department sometimes make the laws...

• Like 4

I certainly do not intend to try and find out any information through the authorities. Firearms regulations in countries where shooting is a privilege and not a right tend to be very complex, difficult to understand, and often interpreted incorrectly. I for one have had nothing but frustration trying to navigate the myriad of laws through my local authorities. Just like the Norwegian Police, you'll get a different answer depending on the officer, as some other posters have mentioned here. I'm a law abiding firearms owner, and that's what I'd fully intend to be if I were to go to Norway, hence why I am trying to understand the laws and regulations I would be dealing with. I came here to understand what it's like to be a shooter in Norway, and if there would be any benefit for me in moving there regarding firearms ownership.

I seem to have overstayed my welcome, and I'd like to say a great big thank you to all those who have contributed. You've really been a great help, and a priceless resource in my search.

Thank you.

• Like 3

Well, you certainly have found one of the norwegian shooter community's biggest drawbacks: Whatever you do, or whatever you prefer, there's always going to be a killjoy. And if you happen to have preferences dating from this side of WW1, you can expect the killjoys to be loud and proud. It's not really a specific trait to the shooting community, it's a norwegian thing. Try not to let it dissuade you from moving here. Atleast here in Norway, you can expect to go to the toilet without having to arm yourself against lethal critters...

• Like 5

@8X68S: WTF are you talking about. Reported the thread for what? Being too helpful? M38shortrifle was not asking anything secret or illegal. Or do you suspect he is secretly trying make an atomic bomb from the info in this thread. Your actions and opinions only contribute to making firearms this hush-hush-musn't-talk-about-it-club, creating an aura of something elitist and scary.

@m38shortrifle: disregard whatever that guy/gal wrote 9_9.

Edited by odin1899
  • Like 5

On 12/04/2017 at 11:28 PM, odin1899 said:

Your actions and opinions only contribute to making firearms this hush-hush-musn't-talk-about-it-club, creating an aura of something elitist and scary.

Absolutely agree with this statement odin1899. Firearms are becoming taboo, and the more people who see them as dangerous, destructive, and inherently evil the more problems we seem to have. At the end of the day they're inanimate tools that require responsibility, it's the user who decides the intent. I am of the opinion that firearm safety, and safe use of firearms can never be taught too young.

I feel as though I now have a good understanding of the laws and regulations that I'd be dealing with, and I'm pleasantly surprised by what I've learned. If I have anything else I'm curious about, or do end up making the move I'll certainly be back to say G'day once again. Thank you to everyone who's helped me out, it seems Norway has a great community of shooters that I'd be more than happy to join. Who knows, I may have a shoot with some of you one day.

I wish everyone a safe, fun weekend out shooting.

Cheers :)